Test ROMs by Pincoder/Cameo Systems Inc. – Version 2018.11.11.1533
The Pincoder sofware (“software”) is trademarked and owned by Cameo
Systems Inc. (“Cameo”) and is provided for use at your own risk. By
downloading, copying, distributing, and/or using this software you agree
to be bound by the following license terms:
1) Cameo is not responsible for any damages arising from the use of
this software, whether direct, indirect, or consequential.
2) You may utilize, copy, and distribute this software free of charge
provided the following conditions are met:
a) You may not charge a fee for copies of the software.
b) You may not charge a fee for distributing the software.
c) Copies that you make and/or distribute must be in their
original unmodifed form.
d) You must pass along information about how to obtain the latest
version directly from Cameo Systems.
3) You may charge your usual fee, if any, for utilizing the ROMs in
the process of diagnosing your clients machine. You are under no
obligation to pay Cameo a royalty fee as long as all of the above
conditions in (2) are met.
4) The software is available only in compiled (“binary”) form. The
source code is not available to the public.
1) Download and extract the Pincoder software.
2) Power down the game.
3) Remove the correct ROM chip from the MPU board and make note of
the chip number printed on the top of the chip itself (not the paper
a) The FLIPPER ROMs for different systems are identified by
color (system 6 is GREEN, system 7 is BLUE, etc). Consult the
game documentation and/or the printed labels on the ROM chips to
identify the correct chip.
b) Remove ONLY the 2nd FLIPPER ROM chip from the socket the MPU
board. If there is an adapter board between the chip and the MPU
board then leave the adapter board installed.
4) Browse into the Pincoder software folder based on the MPU board
your game was ORIGINALLY designed for:
* For System 3, 4, and 6 use the sys346 folder.
* For System 7 use the sys7 folder.
* If you have a system 7 board and it is correctly jumpered to run
system 3,4, or 6 software, then use the sys346 folder.
1) Choose the correct test to run:
* Start with the 01-leds test and sequentially work your way
toward 13-sounds. Some of the tests may not exist in your folder
as they do not apply to your system. Simply run the next higher
* Read the instructions for each test in the corresponding .txt
file BEFORE running the test.
* If a test fails you must fix any problems found and run the test
again before proceeding to the next test.
* When you have sucessfully run 13-sounds you should have a
working machine, and may proceed to step 3 if you like.
* 14-clear_cmos is used to clear the CMOS and cause a factory
reset on the next boot.
* 15-init_cmos is intented for GORGAR, but may work with other
GREEN ROM based games.
* 16-edit_cmos is not required to be run, and is useful if you
want to directly modifiy the contents of the CMOS chip.
* You only need to run 00-bus and/or 17-transceivers if the
01-leds test fails. These tests are still under development and do
not have finalized instructions on how to use them.
* 18-bounce is not required to be run, but is useful for detecting
double bounce events on switches.
* The 27256.bin and 27512.bin files are concatenations of the ROM
images numbered 00 through 15. For tests not applicable to the
given system 0xFF will be used instead of a ROM image. This image
can be used with an appropriate EPROM chip and adapter board. The
adapter boards are currently under development.
1) Select the correct ROM file (.bin) to use based on the size of the
chip removed earlier:
* For a 2K chip (2716, 2816) use the images in the 2K directory.
* For a 4K chip (2532, 2732) use the images in the 4K directory.
1) Progam and use the selected ROM image:
a) Use a chip programmer to program the selected image into a
different EPROM chip.
b) Power down the game.
c) Insert the EPROM into the socket identified earlier.
d) Open the coin door
e) power on the game to run and operate the test.
2) When you are finished testing:
a) Run the 14-clear_cmos ROM or remove and re-insert the batteries
on the MPU board.
b) Power down the game.
c) Reinstall the original ROM chip.
d) Ensure the coin door is open and power on the machine. This
will bring you into audit mode. The Player 1 display will show the
game id and version. If desired, you can change the games default
settings as per the game instruction manual.
e) Power down and close the coin door.
f) Power on again. This will bring you into attract mode.
Two new ROMs are now available:
* 17-transceivers – As with 00-bus you do not need to run this ROM
unless 01-leds fails. Documentation for this ROM is not yet complete.
* 18-bounce – Optional and recommended. Allows you to detect
double-bounce events on switches detectable by the CPU.
Also, the folder layout in the zip file has changed to accomodate System 7
ROMs (To be released in a future version).
| The PinCoder website:
| The official support thread:
This version can be downloaded here: pincoder_roms_2018.11.11.1533.zip
To obtain the latest release version, select “Release Download” from the main menu.
To obtain the latest beta version, select “Beta Download” from the main menu.